Guggenheim Museum

Today was my Guggenheim museum day. I don't have a particular interest in art, however it was on my list of things to accomplish while in New York. I started my day taking the subway up to Columbus Circle with no idea of where the Guggenheim was exactly, all I really knew was that it was probably north of my hotel. Since I hadn't eaten breakfast, I searched for some food as soon as I got off the subway. A couple blocks up I found a cramped little sandwich shop called Bread Soul Cafe. Here I got a chicken wrap for 8 bucks which was pretty tasty and turned out to be crucial to have enough energy for my walk.

Columbus Circle
Bread Soul Cafe


Chicken Wrap
Bread Soul Café on Urbanspoon

After finishing up my food I walked around to find someone with information as to where the Guggenheim Museum was. I found a security guard who pulled out a notebook and read off his hand written directions to me. All I had to do was go up to 89th street and take a right, sounded simple enough right? I hopped on the subway and got off at 87th, walked to 89th and then as far as I could Eastward. All I could find here was housing and central park, it occurred to me at this point that the museum must be on the other side of the park, something I really wish the security guard would have mentioned. To make things worse, once I got about 100 yards into the park, I hit a small obstacle directly between me and the Guggenheim.

Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis Reservoir

After finally completing my journey around the Reservoir I exited the East side of central park and quickly found the Guggenheim. It cost 22 dollars to get admission which felt painful, but after coming this far I wasn't giving up. Unfortunately I wasn't allowed to take pictures in the museum, and there were guards watching each area closely. However you're not missing much, the selection was a quite disappointing. James Turrell's work might as well be called robbery, because I could feel the value of my 22 dollar ticket evaporating as I walked through each empty room he tried to pass off as art. The only piece worth seeing was "Lobster and Cat" which you can see online at the Guggenheim Website. By clicking that link, you can save yourself 22 dollars and a small limp.

outside the Guggenheim
James Turrell's work