First Thoughts On Boracay

Landing at Caticlan Airport you realize quickly that you're on a tourist conveyor belt until you get to Boracay. On the way to the island you'll pay tricycle fees, boat fees, port fees and environmental fee for using the port; people will offer to help you find a hotel also, I'm sure this comes with a fee also but I opted to find my own. After the boat ride a second tricycle ride runs you up the center of the island and eventually to your destination, in my case this was Boat Station 2.

My initial thought about Boracay after moseying about my first day is that it's an extreme tourist trap, however a pleasant one. Just like Phan Thiet and Lung Prabang, as soon as you enter the city you're enveloped in a micro-economic cloud of tourism.  The main difference here is that you're on a island, so options become limited and prices are driven higher.

Aside from the touristy aspect of the island, my initial impression is that this is one of the more beautiful beach destinations I've been to. This is the rainy season here in the Philippines, however even when it started raining tonight, the beach still looked pretty spectacular in its clouded over state. I cant say the same for places like Nha Trang.