Dien Bien Phu

Dien Bien Phu is located about thirty kilometers from the Tay Tang boarder passing and is basically the last stop going west before crossing into Laos, on my way over to Laos I decided to spend one day here in order to break up the twenty hours of bus rides involved.

My exploration here started on the south side of town where the jungle is dotted with several French Military relics from the first Indochina War. There aren't really any signs describing where to go around here so you can kind of just wander around the jungle until you bump into something important. One of the pieces of artillery which I found was surrounded by piles of mud and getting up to it to take a picture was a bit of a challenge, I'm not sure if it was even meant to be on display however it added a bit of adventure to the morning.


French tank

French Military Bunker
After seeing several tanks, artillery and a reconstructed military bunker, I made my way back to the south of town and took a visit by the farmers market, there were a couple random things here which I hadn't seen in other parts of Vietnam. In an area of the market which appeared to be selling livestock, next to the caged chickens and roosters were cages of cats, which I'm pretty sure we're going to end up as someone's dinner. Also near the butcher area of the market, quite a few of the stalls had goat heads placed on the table, facing out toward the crowd to draw in potential customers.



Dinner?



Back at the center of town I made my way up to the top of D1 hill, where a statue celebrates the soldiers who fell in the battle of Dien Bien Phu. To be honest, this was a bit boring, however from the top of the steps here there is a great view looking toward the mountains of Laos.


Victory Statue

No comments: